Sunday, February 01, 2009

Bread Making

I baked some bread today using this recipe, substituting agave for the honey, and leaving off the egg wash. My friend has made it for me and it tastes fantastic. Unfortunately, my loaves turned out a little on the dense side and didn't rise enough. They are still edible but not what I expected:( I guess I shouldn't be too hard on myself since it was my first try, AND I pretty much expected failure because I had to leave for a few hours in between. I did my own trouble shooting and that fit the bill, I left it out of the oven to rise too long (duh), and so the yeast just grew too tired. I hope Athena will like the taste of it because she was really looking forward to eating fresh bread like Natalie gave us. I'll post the picture so you can see my sorry loaves later on.

**Here are my bricks, I mean loaves of bread:)

3 comments:

DJ said...

Anything that doesn't break windows is a success on a first attempt - it took me ages to find a recipe and method that consistently produced light tasty loaves. My family ate an awful lot of hard bread in between :))

Anonymous said...

I agree with DJ, it is hard to make bread, especially if you can't get the chemistry of the think through your head(like me!). I have been a cook for 10 years, not professionally really-just at reastaurants,and now at home since I do graphic design now.And baking has never been a strong suit for me! But I would love to give your receipe a try if you don't mind sharing!?

veganmomma said...

Here is the link to the bread recipe (it was included in the post but maybe you can't see it?) I use agave instead of the honey and no egg wash is needed.

http://www.thenewhomemaker.com/wholewheatbread2