Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Lasagna and raw dessert kick

I was running low on groceries Monday and wanted to used up stuff in the crisper so I settled on making lasagna. The picture is terrible but the lasagna was pretty good. It would have been great with some vegan cheez on top, but I didn't have any and didn't have time to make any either. The filling was made of tofu which I food processed with a bunch of sizzling veggies (1/2 onion, 1/2 red pepper, bunch of kale, and a big broccoli floret). It was a good way to disguise the veggies. I also added the juice of 1 lemon, some Italian seasoning and maybe about 1/4 cup nutritional yeast. I used a jar of Trader Joes pasta sauce, and sprinkled some bread crumbs and Parma on top. On my serving I added some hot sauce because I like to eat hot sauce with just about everything.
Since that first batch of raw brownies, I've made 3 more variations of brownies plus these raw coconut almond balls. The recipe for these was similar to the brownies only I used coconut instead of cacao powder.
Coconut Almond Balls
1 cup almonds
big handful of dates (about 6 medjool or 12 deglet noor)
1/4 cup or so coconut flakes
big squeeze of agave (2-3 tbsp.?)

Process until mixture is sticky and well combined. Roll into balls and freeze. These were super addictive. Every time I walked in the kitchen, I would grab one to snack on.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Raw desserts always look so good! Yours sound delicious.

Anonymous said...

ok, I made coconut almond balls today and Henry LOVED them. yay!

Bridge said...

Okay VEGAN MOM, I am going to stalk your site in hopes I am inspired to give up all animal products!
Help inspire me ;)