Thursday, March 13, 2008

Baby Sugar Free Muffin Cake




I decided to make Rowan a sugar free muffin cake for his birthday today. I didn't have any recipes so I just made this one up.

Baby sugar free muffin cake recipe:

3 tbsp. ground flax or chia as in my case since we were out of flax
2 bananas mashed
3 tbsp molasses
3/4 cup oil of choice
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt (i actually forgot this)
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup applesauce
1 tiny pinch of stevia (you could leave this out, I was just experimenting)

Preheat oven 350
makes 12 muffins or 24 mini muffins (this is my guess since i made 10 mini muffins and 2 mini cakes with the batter)
Bake for 35 mintues
Rowan enjoyed them served with frozen blueberries!

They passed Athena's taste test and Rowan "enjoyed" them too although I don't know how much he actually swallowed. They were very moist (a little too moist), but not too gooey and they held together fine. I thought they were OK, nothing I'd crave, but a good sugar free recipe. It is always hard at their first birthday, when all of the sudden you are expected to let them have a gnarly sugar laden dessert. I think I will put frosting on his cake on Sunday though since I doubt he will eat much of it, but he didn't need the sugary stuff more than once! I am a sucker for that frosting face.

3 comments:

The Little Mama said...

Thanks for the recipe!
Have you seen the strawberry frosting recipe in ED&BV? It is super low-sugar...

julia said...

yay, I was just going to ask you for that recipe. now, do you think I could use oat or brown rice flour instead? garbanzo bean flour? I never have much luck working with brown rice or garbanzo bean flour...

happy birthday little dude! I love his birthday boy t-shirt, too. Where did you get it?

veganmomma said...

Julia,
the shirt is yours! I think oat flour would work for these most definitely, although they may be a bit crumbly. Maybe a mixture of a few non wheat flours.
Vegmomma,
i'll check that strawberry recipe out. thanks!