Saturday, January 10, 2009

Seitan

I made seitan for the first time Thursday. It was easier then I expected and turned out well. I used the recipe from Veganomicon for the super easy seitan or something like that. We used it to make sandwiches and the kids just ate it plain. I didn't take pictures as it really just looked like a small blob of brain. If you've ever bought the seitan in the package, it looked just like that but tasted better and the texture was a bit softer. I'm glad I'm putting my organic wheat gluten to good use, plus I couldn't stand to spend $6 on that blob they sell in the store, what a rip off.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That was just your first time? Wow, congratulations. I'm glad it turned out so well!

DJ said...

LoL - Blob of Brain - I love it!
Seitan's so easy to make and you're right - it is SUCH a rip-off instore!

Jen Treehugger said...

YAY! For making your first Seitan!!
How ridiculously easy is it!!
I used to make it every week but then I think I OD'd on the stuff so haven't made any for a while now.