Sunday, November 09, 2008

Pumpkin muffins

It's that time again...pumpkin time! Well, Halloween is over, but the next months are my favorite months to make pumpkin/squashy food. I have been addicted to pumpkin muffins for about 5 years. I love them year round, but November is my favorite time for them. Tonight I whipped up a double batch so that I could freeze a few for emergency muffin needs (sometimes Athena needs them for school). I used to use a recipe from People's co-op, then had been using the Vegan Lunchbox recipe, and tonight I used the recipe from Vegan with a Vengeance. I had to make some substitutions as that is just the kind of baker I am. I used mostly whole wheat flour in place of all purpose flour, I cut the sugar in half and put a pinch of stevia, I cut the oil in half and subbed apple sauce for the rest of the oil, hemp milk for soy, omitted the allspice because I didn't feel like grinding any, added chocolate chips, and sprinkled them with pepitas and some with orange sugar crystals. They turned out quite nicely, if I do say so myself.

My happy taste testers.
For dinner I made a big batch of peanut noodles (plenty of leftovers), but they were mushy as I over cooked the lo mein. At least I have extra peanut dip for the week as I love it with raw veggies.

No comments: