Thursday, October 23, 2008

Vegan MoFo Day 17 - Apple Muffins, Kale chips or "Crispy kale"

This afternoon, Athena and I used up more of our special apples to make a batch of apple muffins. We used the apple/pecan muffin recipe from The Joy of Vegan Baking but I left out the pecans because Athena doesn't really like them. This blurry photo gives you an idea of what to expect, cinnamony goodness with chunks of fresh apples. Athena really wanted cupcakes today but we settled on these with the addition of a layer of vegan cream cheese on top for her. She was happy to pretend they were cupcakes and went to bed begging for more, but looking forward to her "cupcake" she can eat for breakfast tomorrow. She said she wants to have 2 of them, but we shall see.
For dinner, I made some kale chips, or crispy kale as we like to call it. Both kids ate it this time. I remember I tried it with them a few months back with little success so I was pretty pleased this time. All you have to do is cut some kale into bite sized pieces, place on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and salt, and bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. It really tastes quite good, but you'll have to try it yourself to see what I mean.
With our kale, my weekly batch of lemon garlic pasta with lemon garlic seitan. Sometimes I feel like that recipe alone made the purchase of Eat, Drink, and Be Vegan worth it. And if you are wondering what gave my seitan that lovely brownish green color, it was the spinach that I minced up in the food processor. The kids love it like this and it makes me happy to see them eating green or brown or whatever. This dinner always makes everyone so happy and asking for seconds, or thirds.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been meaning ot make some kale chips. Thanks for the inspiration.

Maggie likes to pretend that muffins are cupcakes. For awhile she was calling them muffcakes.

yasmin said...

kale chips! i've never heard of that. i'll have to try it sometime. and lemon garlic pasta sounds great.