Monday, October 06, 2008

Vegan MoFo Day 4 (for me) - Lemons


On our weekend trip to SLO, we collected a huge bag of lemons from my Aunt and Uncle's crazy lemon tree. It seems to always have lemons, no matter what time of year we are visiting, and lots of them. Athena loved helping fill up the bag with our freshly picked lemons. So, now we are home and I've already gone through 6 lemons. Now, what to do with the rest? What do you do with lemons when they are in such abundance? Here are my top lemony recipes, feel free to share your own since I may need a few more ideas:
1. Lemon Garlic Pasta from Eat, Drink, and Be Vegan. Don't forget to double the recipe and cook some seitan with it.

2. Lemonade with stevia from Eat, Drink, and Be Vegan.

3.
Random raw sandwich filling. Today I used the juice of 3 lemons, a mixture of sunflower seeds, pepitas, and walnuts, 2 celery stalks, 1/3 of a red pepper, flax oil, and coconut oil. Pretty tasty and filling.

4. Hummus, of course. I've been making the hummus from Veganomicon, and I actually thought most hummus was created equal. Wow, I was sure wrong because this stuff turns out better than any standard hummus I've made.

7 comments:

lao80 said...

The lemon cashew pesto from edbv is one of our favs.

Lemon bars.

donesmoking said...

thank. :) yeah, i'd love to check out that link for making kombucha! i like it but its way too expensive to buy.

Bex said...

I haven't tried the lemon garlic pasta yet.

I remember when we were visiting the inlaws in Greece it was crazy lemon season, I spent a couple days of vacation juicing lemons :) They are delicious though. I also suggest lemon sorbet, super refreshing.

Jen said...

try this lemonade (http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/RCP00270) it's delish, if you need rosemary i have some for you :)

Bethany said...

I second the lemon bars idea. veganomoicon has a recipe. so does joy of vegan baking. veganomicon also have a lemony potatoes recipe.

Tahini sauce uses a fair amount of lemons. good for falafels.

I learned in a cooking class recently that before you get the juice from a lemom, zest it and freeze the zest.

I think you can preserve lemons and then use them in moroccan cooking. I'd google that.

veganmomma said...

Oh yeah, lemon bars! Thanks everyone. This weekend is going to be all about lemon bars and apple pie...I hope.

veganmomma said...

Mmm, that lemonade does sound great Jen!