Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Vegan MoFo Day 16 - Not again!!!


I couldn't help myself. I was craving more Snobby Joes tonight. I don't know what it is, but I just didn't want anything else for dinner. Last night I used red lentils to make this dish (which I overcooked and turned into lentil mush), so tonight I used regular brown lentils, plus some red pepper since I finally made it to the store. Wow, I didn't know it could get any better, but tonight's batch was fantastic. I served it with a side of roasted asparagus and topped the joes with lightly steamed spinach. Chris and I are never "into" asparagus, but I was determined to convert us tonight. Apparently roasting is the trick, as we both inhaled these little beauties. The kids were not interested at all in this dinner:( They mostly ate grapes, and I made Athena a bagel with vegan cream cheese. I chopped some spinach really small and stirred it in with the cream cheese and told her she wouldn't even taste it. She looked skeptical, but in the end she agreed that the little bits of spinach were just fine. It made me feel good that she got a little bit of greens in her. What is with these picky vegan kids? They eat 10 times better then I did as a child, so I try not to worry, but sometimes I wish they'd eat more variety. Today Athena asked for bread and a bagel twist for lunch with hummus. I tried to explain to her that that was like having bread and bread for lunch and that she would have to choose either bread or the twist. She really didn't like that, but eventually settled on her twist. She finished it and then wanted another twist to which I replied, "you can eat some strawberries and blueberries". But NO, she did not want strawberries and blueberries, she wanted another twist. She was out of luck, although she did score some crackers from her Dad. I think that child would live off of bread products alone if she could. Anyway, I'm rambling, I promise not to make Snobby Joes tomorrow. Chris is polishing off the leftovers with some chips right now. He usually eats a second dinner once the kids are in bed while I fill up on dessert.

2 comments:

Luci said...

Ha! I was going to ask you what kind of lentils you used yesterday, but since I always overcook my red lentils, I'll just go right for the brown!
Snobby Joe's look scrumptious and right up our alley!

Diana M. said...

OMG-Ansel is a carbo king too! What is it with kids and bread/crackers???