Monday, October 12, 2009

MoFo Day 12 - Peanut Fried Rice


Tonight's dinner will win no awards in the photography contest, but mmm it was good. My kids are big fans of peanut sauce with noodles, but tonight I thought I'd put the left over brown rice to good use by making rice with the usual peanut sauce. I started out by lightly frying some seitan (premade stuff that my local food coop makes and sells) in coconut oil, then I added the rice and some toasted sesame oil. Next came the chickpeas (1 15 oz can) and about 5 cups of finely processed spinach. I then added the juice of 3 lemons, garlic, ginger, agave, tamari, peanut butter, and a little more sesame oil. I stirred it all up and let it cook awhile and that was it. Athena goes crazy over anything seitan and chickpea so she gobbled up 2 bowls of this! Rowan was cautious at first, he's usually a kid who eats with his eyes and so I don't really blame him since this meal was pretty much a brown mess of food. He eventually came around and gobbled up his serving happily. So there. We don't always eat pretty over here, but this really was good and versatile. You could put pretty much anything in it and it would have been tasty.

1 comment:

DJ said...

That sounds just about perfect!