Saturday, October 10, 2009

Vegan MoFo Day 10 - Muffins, soup, and salad

Dinner salad with balsamic dressing and lots of hemp seeds
Autumn minestrone soup

We had a busy Saturday, which is pretty normal around here. I made pumpkin chocolate chip muffins for breakfast, and packed up the soccer game snacks. Yep, it was our turn to bring snack. We brought apples and bananas for halftime because my oranges were too hard to peel. For after the game we passed out organic rice crispy treats, organic fruit leathers, mini luna bars, and organic juice. My kids were in heaven and stuffed themselves with their little pre packaged convenience foods. I've mentioned it before, but I'll just say it again, I am also the coach of Athena's soccer team. Yep, Coach Sara. I actually enjoy it more than I expected. The kids are great and I feel like the parents think I'm doing a pretty good job. I tend to worry about what they think, but then remind myself that they didn't volunteer to do this so they can't really complain!

After soccer, Chris took Rowan on a bike ride and I decided to make the autumn minestrone soup. It turned out well, but wasn't really anything special in my opinion. I served it over whole wheat pasta and topped it with nutritional yeast. My kids are self proclaimed soup haters, but I tried to point out the things they liked in the soup so they at least were willing to try it. I think they each ate maybe 5 or 10 bites out of it but still reminded me that they did not like it at all. Chris and I went back for seconds though:)

Soon we decided we'd take the kids to the movies. This was only the second time we'd taken Athena to the theater (we took them to the drive in once as well) and the first time we took Rowan. Athena seems to be mature enough to enjoy a G rated movie now and she had a great time. The movie was the 3D Toy Story and neither of my kids wore their 3D glasses. Athena said she, "did not want to see things that close to her face". Rowan got pretty freaked out a few times in the movie. It was just too loud and too action packed at times and he got scared. When I tried to take him out of the theater though he wanted to go back in. So he didn't completely lose it, but I still don't plan on taking him back to a movie again until he is at least 4, it just seems like way too much stimulation for a child his age. I don't know what I was thinking.

After that we came home and made a quick dinner. We whipped up some "beanaditas" (tortillas with beans, vegan cheese, avocado, and optional salsa). We also made a huge salad with a tasty balsamic vinaigrette dressing. I put olive oil, flax oil, balsamic vinegar, mustard, garlic, and agave in the blender and then drowned our salad in it. I also made a quick batch of chocolate coconut ice cream. This required only 4 ingredients: coconut milk, cocoa powder, agave, and vanilla. It ends up tasting just like the store bought chocolate coco milk ice cream, only it is a little more affordable.

So, that was the wrap up of our day. The kids were exhausted and fell asleep early which is always nice on a Saturday. Tomorrow I'm off to my game in the morning and then I'm having my cousin cut my hair! I'm so tired of my hair right now and ready for something new.

3 comments:

Jen Treehugger said...

Mmmm the beanditas sound scrummy and the salad looks ace.I must get some hemp seeds. The soup looks good even if you weren't impressed with it, serving it over pasta is a great idea.

DJ said...

I'm definitely gonna try you chocolate-coconut ice-cream recipe - sounds like it would become a firm favourite! Such a shame the kids don't like soup - I'm sure they'll grow out of it!

denise said...

oh my goodness...way too much yummy stuff in this post...your killing me on all these food blogs!