Tuesday, October 06, 2009

MoFo Day 6 - Gluten Free Banana Muffins


I've been wanting to experiment with GF baking because I have a lot of friends who don't consume gluten. My main reason for starting with muffins is that I want to bring some to Athena's school for snack and wanted to make something that all of the kids could enjoy since I know of at least 3 kids there who don't do gluten. I definitely wanted to make some for us to try out first before I promised the kids muffins so today was the day. It also helped that Costco started carrying the Bobs Red Mill GF all purpose flour. I did a quick google search, but wasn't finding what I was looking for. Eventually I found my way to a post by Veggie Girl for a GF banana bread recipe. I figured I'd just try it out in muffin form and stuck to the recipe, just used a little more applesauce because I was using one of those little individually packaged ones and didn't want to have 1/2 of one sitting in my fridge. I also opted for chocolate chips rather than carob because I rarely have carob on hand. I made a tray of mini muffins and they only needed to bake for 20 minutes. I thought they turned out quite nicely and was pleased with my first GF muffin attempt. My blue eyed taste tester thought they were delicious too!

4 comments:

lola coca-cola said...

mmmmmmm

denise said...

i need sea to be in school with athena already! yum! i'm thinking about trying gluten free and always looking for recipes...

DJ said...

Those look really good! I've made wheat-free muffins before for the kids using rice flour obviously for gluten intolerances that wouldn't be appropriate would it?

veganmomma said...

I think rice flour would work, but would maybe need another "binder" of sorts since the GF mix contains a few different things that I'm sure help make it stick.