Sunday, October 18, 2009

MoFo Day 18 - Chai spiced pumpkin scones



I took a box of simply organic chai spiced scones, added 3/4 cup pumpkin, the ground flax the recipe calls for, and added rice milk until the batter got the right consistency. Then added a few chocolate chips for my 2 little chocolate loving monkeys and sprinkled them with sugar. I know some of you might be thinking that all I do is bake out of a box, but honestly I bake quite a bit and from scratch! I just can't pass up sales on some of these baking mixes, especially when sometimes it would end up costing more to buy the ingredients individually. I also just like to compare them to my homemade to see if they taste any different. Growing up I remember only baking things out of a box, so I am proud that I have come a long way in baking from scratch. The scones turned out pretty well. Athena gobbled 2 up while Rowan snubbed them entirely. I'm guessing it was the strong chai spices that turned him off, or it may have been the consistency. This is a gluten free mix so the doughyness is a little different than he may be used to. I'm pretty sure it was the spices though. It was nice to be able to whip up something special in only 5 minutes this morning since I wasn't feeling 100%. I'm fighting off a little cold so I've been taking it easy. I hope I feel better tomorrow!

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

I've really been enjoying your daily posts! Keep 'em up!!