Thursday, October 08, 2009

MoFo Day 8 - Cashew Cheese


There are a lot of cashew cheese recipes floating around, and I pretty much love them all. Tonight I made the recipe included in Erik Marcus' latest book and I have to say, it pretty much rocks. I didn't have pimentos on hand (never do, never will) so I usually substitute roasted red peppers. I was out of those tonight as well so used raw red pepper and it tasted the same to me. Tonight I spread a layer of the cashew cheese on a whole wheat tortilla, then topped it off with some of my pretty quinoa from yesterday. I rolled those up and baked them for about 10 minutes at 350 degrees, and voila, dinner was served. With a yummy organic salsa to top them off, these really hit the spot. By the way, I almost always warm my tortillas this way. I love baked burritos because I still get a crispy tortilla, reminiscent of the fried ones from my childhood, but without all the extra fat. If you haven't tried it, you should, and see what you think. I was supposed to make a salad to go along with these but everyone was getting hungry and just wanted to eat! I always have good intentions at dinner time, but then get pressed for time and kind of wing it. Oh well, there were veggies in the burritos so it wasn't so bad.
Sorry to tease you, and not include a recipe, but I don't have permission to share it so I just can't.

And here's something I'm totally excited about. I just ordered one of these new stainless steel lunch boxes! I saw one of Athena's classmates with one and thought it looked very nice. A friend of mine decided to put together a group order so we could all split the shipping and they should be arriving early next week. Hooray!

2 comments:

DJ said...

Oh, gorgeous lunch box! I have a couple of stainless steel bentos for Meg and we both love them! I've never tried homemade nut cheese but there's a lot of blogging going on about them just now so it maybe time!

Averie @ Averie Cooks said...

I dont have that cookbook. And jeez I cannot add any more to my shelves. And Sarma and Ani and Matthew Kenney all have nut cheese recipes. I have never tried one. Can you believe that? I have made vegan cheesecake out of cashews but I should get on the savory cheese action. It looks really good :) Hope you're well!