Saturday, October 24, 2009

Mofo Day 24 - Pumpkin Pancakes gone wrong

Here is a pic of the new and improved pancake. They tasted better today surprisingly.

Chris has the camera with him so I can't post the pictures but I really screwed up my pancakes this morning. The first batch were just piles of mush. I had added WAY too much pumpkin. I tried to remedy the situation by adding lots more flower and it worked OK. They were definitely not my best and not pretty to look at since they were chocolate and a little burnt they looked like extra burnt pancakes. I actually have a question about pancakes...I can make them fairly well but I only have a cast iron skillet to do it on. I find that it is really hard to get the temperature just right so they don't burn, but actually cook through the center. Anyone have tips for me? My family doesn't complain, they gobble up any of my wacky creations. I wish I could share a recipe but it was seriously a very random mixture.

On an entirely different note, I spend the afternoon/evening with my 5 year old and had a very nice time. We went to the ballet (for the first time), then out to dinner, and then did a little shopping. The boys were out at a Halloween bike race and are just arriving home now. Athena has been asleep for an hour already! I'll try and post the picture of my very ugly pancakes tomorrow. Until then...:)

4 comments:

Jen Treehugger said...

I LOVE the ballet. My mum used to take me. GREAT memories.
:)

thedalyn said...

That sounds like a lovely day. I make pancakes in my cast iron as well, but I can't think of anything special that I do to get them out right. I out the heat at about a 6 on a scale of 10, definitely make sure it's all the way warmed up before starting, use an oil spray, and usually end up turning it down just a bit toward the second half of the batch. They take a little while to cook through, but they turn out good.

Also, I just tried the pancake recipe in Vegan Brunch and they turned out great!

DJ said...

Kitchen disasters are alway entertaining in retrospect but hair-pullingly frustrating when you're waiting to feed the fam! And yay for girlie-bonding time! SO important!

Alexandra said...

yea, I have to admit that I've given up on pancakes, in favor of waffles for now. My other issue is that I just seem to have to add so much oil/butter to the pan, which the pancakes suck up. Which I don't have to do with waffles. It's usually the 2-3rd pancake that is good, and I feel like it's a waste. Sorry, I don't have a pancake solution for you, just to share in your frustration!