Friday, October 02, 2009

MoFo Day 2 - Crockpot lentil soup dinner


Last night we had two lovely dinner guests and I wanted to make something really tasty. I knew I'd be pressed for time. Enter crockpot lentil soup. It was really easy to prepare, and the end result was superb. We paired it up with some cauliflower mash, kale chips, and garlic bread. The lentil soup was thrown together randomly, so I'll recap what I did. First, threw a bunch of lentils (maybe a cup) in the crockpot with 3 cubes of veggie bouillon and 8 cups of water. Then I sauteed an onion and 2 carrots (chopped) in olive oil and an aurora creations spice packet. They are a real rip off in the regular stores, but I scored some at GTM for 89 cents, and they make things very easy on me. So after that cooked for about 5 minutes, I added it to the crockpot along with 2 chopped tomatoes, and 2 cups of chopped spinach. Then for my final secret ingredient, I dumped the end of a slightly stale bag of tortilla chips in the pot. The crockpot was set on high and was finished in about 5 hours. I really didn't expect the soup to taste so good, but it really did, so I'll be making this again very soon! We also got a little crazy on our seconds (yes, we all went back for seconds) and topped the soup with some cauliflower mash, now that was good!

2 comments:

denise said...

This looks so yummy! I'll totally be trying it soon...gotta make that mash and kale chips, too...

DJ said...

cauliflower mash - yum! That soup looks so good too!